Saturday, December 18, 2010

A common question

Unlike the US where people are often surprised by how young we got married, here in Thailand, we get a different question. Let me share a conversation I had with a student yesterday. I wish I could show you how dissatisfied he grew with each of my answers! :) Ah... It's hard to break social norms...

Pat: Teacher, you pregnant?
Me: No.
Pat: Why not?!! (shocked expression)... You don't like children (huge eyes)
Me: I do like children. Just later. Maybe when we go back to America.
Pat: You aren't French? (Pat is one of my French students)
Me: No, I'm American. But I lived in France when I was younger.
Pat: So your house is in America?
Me: I don't have a house.
PAT: (Blank stare for a few seconds).... So you just (disgusted look) MOVE AROUND?????!!!!
Me: (Little laugh). Yes, for now.
Pat: But your family has house in France or America?
Me: Yes, my family has a house in the US. We used to live in France, now we live in America.
Pat: Hmmm. (Nod to dismiss me)

I had to laugh. But, it's true, everyone here asks us why we don't have kids. People have even asked us if we can't have kids. Apparently, the only reason people get married is to have kids, otherwise they just have girlfriends/boyfriends, so we are quite a puzzlement.

2 comments:

  1. I miss you both so much! I keep looking at the card in my Christmas tree- and getting so antsy to open it! I love you guys- can't wait to see you again! And not so great news- I will not be able to travel anywhere this summer. Total bummer. Too expensive. :( But I love you! And I miss you! And I pray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. John and Dana!!
    I wish I had started following your blog earlier. I've been missing you guys like crazy! Sounds like you both are being adventuresome and enjoying it there. Are you being trained as well as teaching? Merry Christmas and happy new year! Love you guys tons,
    Ethan

    ReplyDelete